I'm 99% sure that Dylan is teething and it's the saddest thing ever.
Things I googled yesterday:
- "Teething Molars First"
- "Baby Orajel"
- "Hyland's Teething Tablets"
Ok that last one is not very interesting, but the first two were.
Mr. GG always suggests things for Dylan. Like...can we get him some Orajel? My response is typically...look it up! I don't trust anything for a second unless a doctor, trusted friend, or good internet research has proven it realistically safe.
Orajel = not safe. There is a baby version and people do use it, but the rare complication is that the baby stops breathing if they swallow the gel. OMG...not a risk I'm going to take with my respirationally-challenged baby.
Hyland's on the other hand do seem like a good option. They are homeopathic tablets. (Still not sure exactly what that means, but the ingredients were .......) We gave Dylan two yesterday and both times he immediately stopped crying. For about two minutes. : ( So we gave Tylenol and that did the trick. He had one more episode later in the day, but it didn't necessitate meds. (I do realize Hyland's were recalled a few years ago, but they are ok now.)
We also tried a variety of teething items including a partially frozen washcloth, teething ring and the most effective....my finger.
That's how I know it's teething and that it's probably molars. I can feel them. So weird! Apparently getting molars first is extremely uncommon, but it does happen. I already verified with my mom that I did not get my molars first.
I sure hope this pain is sporadic. He was so upset. I've never heard that pain cry for a sustained amount of time and it broke my heart!
He also had his lowest total food intake since he got home from the hospital...not by a lot, but definitely a trend that cannot continue!
Did any of your little ones get molars first? Will this last forever? How did you get through it?