Thursday, June 14, 2012

9 Weeks! Time to embrace the bump.

This post was originally going to be about weight.  I've been struggled with body image with pregnancy weight gain.  I've seen so many posts out in the blogosphere referencing weight in some way or another that it just really shows that no matter what your size, most of us have struggled with body image at some time or another.

All in all, I'm pretty lucky.  I've fluctuated within about a 5 pound radius since high school (which is 14 years ago now!).  But I'm only 5'4 so a few pounds up or down is extremely noticeable.

Since I've gotten pregnant, I've gained about 4 pounds.  I'm very near my all-time high weight which was after an all-you-can-eat Spring Break cruise.  I've been focused on how my pants don't fit and how much I dislike the way I look naked in the mirror.

But 2 days ago, I made a shift.  I decided to start embracing the "bump."  The only thing holding me back was the date.  I really started showing at 8 weeks.  Most people don't show until after the first trimester.  But after seeing the 3 babies all growing properly, and googling when people usually show during triplet pregnancies, I've come to the realization that the bump is really real.

*     *     *     *     *
I hit a milestone today too.  I graduated from my RE.  We had an uneventful ultrasound (not fun to see a super blurry screen after seeing clear shots 2 days earlier - and I was sore today!), but were really excited to see our actual doctor right after the appointment.  We basically just ran into him when we was in between appointments, but it really made me happy.  He gave me a big hug and said I was the easiest patient ever.  We've only seen him 4 times throughout the entire process, so it was very nice to see him today.

Then as we were leaving, I told the receptionist that it was our last appointment.  For some reason this made me super emotional.  She's a really sweet lady who always made me feel very welcome.  She said that they had a "graduation gift" for me, then came out and gave me a big hug.  I totally teared up but didn't let DH know because I felt a little stupid about it.  

The gift was a pregnancy planner, some magazines, and a onesie that says "Miracle Baby" on the front.   Uh oh.  I'm tearing up again.

*     *     *     *     *
Now for the symptoms.

I feel better in general.  But I'm also having a harder time eating most thigns.  Going to a restaurant is kind of a nightmare because I don't really know if I'll be able to eat the food when it comes out.  Last night I ate 3 bites of a salad, then came home and had PB&J.  The hunger has subsided too.  I still need to eat frequently, but small snacks and meals are working well.

I'm totally off of Mexican and Asian food.  I can't exactly explain why.  So I guess I'm on an eternal search for bland, healthy food.  Luckily fruit is delicious and I made a BIG trip to Whole Foods earlier this week.  Yum.  Fruit.

Well...that's what's going on today.  Oh and school is out.  I've never been more excited for the end of the year!

17 comments:

  1. A bump post with no photo!? Just teasing. You sound really great. I'm glad things are moving along for you, and that you're eating well and looking forward to summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it! Maybe I'll try one later... : ) Mostly, I'm just lazy.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on 9 weeks, graduating from the RE and that school is out! I love your embrace the bump outlook (storing it away now) because it is something to be embraced, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we do need to see a photo of your bump! =) I'm so happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you decided to embrace the bump! I also would love a picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your graduation and being done school for the year! Sounds like your final visit with the RE was pretty special. I would've been full on water works so good job on keeping it together.

    I'm also into plain foods and fruit these days! There are some things that I just can't even imagine eating right now. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on school being out! And graduating from the RE, how sweet was that gift!?!

    Yes, you should be showing with trips! Gosh, I feel like I showed at 8 or 9 weeks with a singleton, maybe it was from all the food I needed to feel okay, but normally I wouldn't need that amount of food, so it was all pregnancy related. Your uterus alone has got to be way bigger! :)

    Embrace the bump! I spent 8 dollars on 4 peaches at whole foods, and then ate them all in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. During the 1st trimester hunger strike, I lived on Odwalla protein drinks (you can find them at grocery stores). Lots of protein is good for the babies, and good for you, too. I was super sick for the first tri, and that helped me gain weight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your graduation! That's so cute what the receptionist did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome to hear about you graduating from the RE. Enjoying reading your updates (new reader from the LFCA crowd).

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an accomplishment graduating from the RE. I got sad too even though I had only been there for 4 months.Yay for embracing the bump!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats graduating from the RE! I too am only 5'3 and have been struggling with how much weight I am going to have to gain with this triplet pregnancy! So glad that you are working to embrace it! You are so lucky those are your only symptoms! I am insanely sick and exhausted all the time! Can hardly wait until I feel human again! But congrats again and happy to hear everything is going well and babies are growing well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post. Makes me tear up a little too - how sweet for a graduation gift! This is so cool. You've got an amazing time of life ahead of you - so excited that the best is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only one onesie? I guess the three will have to learn to share at a very young age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, that is EXACTLY what i was about to type to ms. gg. hahahaha!!!

      Delete
  14. Hurray for school being out!! I still go until thursday!! Ugh...these last few days are such a waste. Anxiously awaiting a bump photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Embracing the bump and everything that goes with it does take time. I felt as if I was never going to show and it was only tummy fat that I could see. LOL. I'd have to go back and see when it was that I finally embraced my bump and that it was actually real (I'm thinking 15 weeks).

    Congrats on graduating from the RE! Super exciting!

    ReplyDelete