Thursday, December 8, 2011

Making Babies: Diagnosis, Tired

I love questionnaires.  I don't know why.  Maybe because I often get bored of the sites I usually peruse on the internet.  Maybe because I like taking tests and finding out results.  Whatever the reason, I was excited to take the Making Babies Fertility Typer questionnairre after it was recommended by JHoller and Running Elley over at Weddingbee.

Before I get to the results, let me give a tiny bit of background on Making Babies. Full Disclaimer: I have not read this book; I've just read reviews.  If anyone would like to guest blog about it, send me a message! 



The super basic summary is that this book approaches infertility through a collaboration between an infertility doctor, Dr. Sami S. David, and an Acupuncturist/Herbalist, Jill Blakeway.  That's all I will say since I don't know much more!

I am totally curious about Eastern Medicine, acupuncture, and herbal supplements.  But I am also extremely hesistant about taking pills and trying herbs as well as a bit too lazy to actually schedule an acupuncture appointment.  Maybe trying these things should be part of my New Year's Resolution if the IUI doesn't work.

Back to the Fertility Typer.  I was a bit surprised at the length of the questionnairre!  It's extremely detailed.  I definitely saw some questions that fit me to a T, like "Frequently has tense muscles."  But other questions were hard for me to answer because I can go both ways.  I also thought it was kind of stupid to answer questions like whether I prefer hot or cold beverages.  I love tea, but it's cold outside right now.  I probably would answer cold beverages in the summer time.

My result was "tired" which gave a me a good laugh.  I'm a sleeper.  If I could get 10 hours of sleep I night, I would and I'm often tired.

Here are the recommendations for my type:



SYMPTOMS:Often feels weak or lethargicProne to getting sickGets out of breath and sweats easily, gains weightPoor appetiteProne to bloating, gas, and loose stoolsLow sex driveShort luteal phaseFeels cold: hands, feet

Comments: I've got 5 out of 7.

WESTERN MEDICINE:HypothyroidLow progesteroneLuteal phase defectMetabolic disorders

Comments: I've got 2 out of 4.

TCM PERSPECTIVE:This type is called kidney “yang” deficiency in TCM, and reflects a broader hormonal imbalance going beyond reproductive hormones and encompassing the thyroid, adrenals, and pituitary gland. Weakness in these systems affects metabolism, circulation, and thus reproduction.

Hmm...Not really sure about this one.

ADVICEMore animal ProteinAvoid raw and cold foodsAlcohol in moderationConsume warming soups and stews, and spices: cinnamon,ginger, cayenne, turmeric, cardamom, cloves, cuminRegular moderate exercise

Comments: I love soup.  Cumin, cinnamon, giner, yum!  I probably do need more protein.  Thank goodness it doesn't say no alcohol.  But I will not give up my ice cream or veggies!

SUPPLEMENTS:Royal jellyWheat grassChromium (boosts metabolism by enhancing the action of insulin)L-arginineChasteberry (helps sustain post-ovulatory progesterone)

Comments: Yeah, don't really see myself taking these.  Royal jelly sounds gross!  Maybe chasteberry?  More research needed here.

Overall, I think this is interesting.  I'm not sure whether or not I feel the need to read the book, but I do like having something additional to think about. 

I know a lot of you take stuff.  What herbs do you swear by?

7 comments:

  1. hmmmm... i'd be interested to read this but i wonder if the quiz gives me the info i would need! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so intrigued by this that I went ahead and did this questionnaire and it was SO off for me. Said I have short cycles with light periods, come now I'm on day 48 of this cycle and that my nails break easily, blah blah blah, all wrong for me! VERY interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read this book--not cover to cover, but enough to get a feel for it. I found it after I'd been seeing an acupuncturist for a while, so I was actually more interested in the western medicin parts. But I do recommend it, as it has a lot of interesting information. I think it's one of those things where you take what is helpful to you, and leave the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hope - Thanks for the info!

    @Jesica - Yeah, there's no way they can get it right for everyone. Mine was a little close, but not exact at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My type was "stuck" and I did buy all the supplements it recommended (of course)...It was random stuff though - like magnesium and Vitamin D. Some of the stuff I was already taking, like a Bcomplex. My "type" did not recommend royal jelly, and if there is one thing I would have to swear by, it's def royal jelly. I take the real stuff - it's organic and it is basically a really thick honey. I got it at Vitamin Shoppe and I've basically read too many good things about it to not eat a couple of tsp a day. If anything, it's mega nutrient packed, and hopefully it will pack that into my eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been reading the book this week and I definitely recommend it! There is so much information in there and it's very specific. It also covers so many different scenarios, I'm loving it.

    P.S. I'm "Tired" too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Elley: -> "yawning"!

    Have you learned anything specifically valuable?

    ReplyDelete