Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Turkey-Basted!

(That's what Mr. GG calls Interuterine Insemination (IUI).)

I'm 1dpo today!  IUI #1 (and hopefully the last) is done!  I got my OPK smiley face yesterday afternoon.  DH took his "sample" in at 8am and I went in at 11am for my portion.  Romantic, huh?

I think this two week wait is going to be extremely difficult.  It's a lot of extra pressure to have gone to this much effort to make this month work.  Hopefully the Holidays will distract me from going insane.


For me, the IUI was worse than the HSG.  For both, a catheter is inserted through the cervix.  The nurse today said that my cervix curved or something so she had a very hard time inserting the catheter.  Eventually (after some wincing on my part) the catheter went in.  The rest of the procedure took just minutes.
 
She inserted the majority of the sperm at the top of my uterus near the fallopian tubes and the rest in my cervix to hang out in the cervical mucus. 

Mr. GG's count and motility were really good...I congratulated him : )

I laid on the table with my knees up for about 10 minutes and stared at this.  Better than ceiling tiles I guess.
 

I have to take 3 doxycyclene pills tonight and tomorrow to prevent the small chance of infection and then I have to get my blood tested in 7-10 days to check my progesterone and see whether I ovulated.

Sidenote: my cervical mucus was great this month, definitely stretchy and clear although maybe slightly stickier (rather than slippery) so I definitely am in the majority who respond well to Clomid.

You probably know that I was worrying about timing after my last post, so we had sex on Sunday night which should up our chances.  Also, my temp already spiked today, so I must have ovulated yesterday.  I think it's ok that the IUI was the day after though...
I sincerely thank all of you for your support!!  To respect Mr. GG's privacy, I am only telling my sister and I didn't get a chance to mention it to her yesterday.  So lots of love to my internet family : )

Let's hope for the spotting devil to stay away and for me to make it past 13 days...

6 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad that it went well! Fingers and toes crossed that this is a productive TWW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog via Weddingbee. I am just starting the process of IUI #1. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    Wishing you the best of luck - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed! I love that you took a picture of what you stared out for 10 minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a hard IUI before too and so I can totally sympathize. I hope that this is it for you!! Fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fantastic! I'm a big sook and the idea of a catheter in the lady parks scares the life out of me. So hoping this works for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I will post an update very soon.

    ReplyDelete